Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A poor mans "Tales From The Crypt?"


So every Tuesday and Thursday as I am getting ready to go to class I always turn my TV to the Sci Fi Channel. I have been noticing that around that time they will normaly be playing mini marathons of X-Files, Outer Limits, Jake 2.0 etc. One morning I'm going through my guide and it says "Tales From the..." So I think oh its Tales From the Crypt but when I turn to the channel, I see this low quality show with cheesy effects that is called Tales From the Darkside. I had never heard of this show before and no clue what is was about.

Turns out that Tales From the Darkside had aired from 1984 to 1988, and was created and produced by George A. Romero of all people! The show was an anthology series very similar and inspired by The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits but tended to deal more in horror stories very similar to Tales From the Crypt. Each episode would be its own story that usually ended in a plot twist of some kind. Some of the episodes were written by Romero himself, but most episodes were adaptations of famous books or stories, even Steven King's short stories were adapted for the show. Despite only being on air for 4 years it had enough success for its own movie.

The two episodes I saw were My Ghostwriter - The Vampire where a writer discovers a vampire and agrees to store his coffin in his apartment in exchange for his life stories and becomes famous. The other one being The Enormous Radio a story in where a couple buys a new radio but it can pick up the personal conversations of couples from around the area. I have to say that while both episodes were interesting and creative they certainly did not seem scary, it did not even seem that well made and quite funny because of its low production value.

Even the opening screams low quality, I mean come on Are You Afraid of The Dark? had a scarier opening. despite its cheese factor and not being that scary, it still seems like a cool show with some creative aspects. So the next time it is on in the morning as I am getting ready to go I will be happy to see what creative/hilarious story will come from it.

So in closing I just have to ask, has anyone else seen or heard of this show?


No comments: